Apple butter with cinnamon
Sweet, creamy and delicious
Apple butter is a bit like applesauce, but flavored with other spices and is perfect for spreading on sandwiches, cheese trays, as an accessory to a roast, cake filling, as a base for a chutney that is then enjoyed with samosas and a number of other uses. This variant has a lot of cinnamon and together with the brown sugar it becomes a very dark mixture. It's a good way to take care of some leftover apples in the fall when you can make a big batch and then freeze.
By the way, apple butter has nothing to do with butter other than that it has a consistency that is suitable for spreading on sandwiches.
I make this apple butter in a slow cooker and of course it takes time, but it almost takes care of itself so it is also very easy to prepare.
I used 2.5kg of mixed apples from the garden and after I removed the core and other things (doesn't need peeling), there were approx. 1.8kg of apple pieces that went into the slow cooker. I got about 1.5kg of finished apple butter from this recipe, which I divided into 500g jars and then froze what I wasn't going to use immediately. I used a tablespoon as an approximate serving size, but of course it will vary depending on what you use the apple butter for.
|Energy||2977.26 kcal||29.77 kcal||104 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||733.44 g||7.33 g||25.62 g|
|Fat||2.58 g||0.03 g||0.09 g|
|Protein||5.73 g||0.06 g||0.20 g|
|Sugar||602.04 g||6.02 g||21.03 g|
|Salt||2.86 g||0.03 g||0.10 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Core the apples and cut them into smaller pieces. It is not necessary to peel them.
- Put all the apple pieces in a slow cooker.
- Mix the other ingredients (except the vanilla - save it for later) in a bowl and then pour over the apples.
- Mix the apples and sugar mixture.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on a low setting for 10 hours, possibly stirring a few times during cooking.
- After 10 hours have passed, mix in the vanilla and using a stick blender or similar and until you have a smooth apple puree.
- Run the slow cooker for another 2 hours on low, but now leave the lid off and stir occasionally.
- Store in the fridge for approx. 2 weeks or freeze.