Hallongrotta ("Raspberry cave") is a small cake with a taste of vanilla and a filling of raspberry jam in the middle.
Hallongrotta ("Raspberry cave") is a Swedish cake that is easy to make. In the United States, it is known as the "thumbprint cookie" and there are similar cakes in Australia called "jam drops".
There are a few different ways to make these cakes, but here I make the one that I think is the fastest and easiest - just put everything in a food processor and run until the dough is lumpy. You can also wait for the butter to reach room temperature and mix the dough in a bowl instead. You can also use an electric whisk to get the dough together.
I have tried a few variants, but in the end I stuck to this one. Other variants are e.g.
- Add some cinnamon to the dough. For this recipe, half a teaspoon should work without taking over completely.
- Instead of 30 small ones, you can make 16 almost twice as big. Bake in 175°C for 18 minutes instead.
- Some reduce the flour to 240g (4 dl) instead to get a slightly easier-to-work dough.
- Replace the raspberry jam with blueberry jam, strawberry jam or whatever type of jam you like.
|Energy||2963.7 kcal||98.79 kcal||445 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||343.32 g||11.44 g||51.55 g|
|Fat||169.36 g||5.65 g||25.43 g|
|Protein||24.18 g||0.81 g||3.63 g|
|Sugar||136.73 g||4.56 g||20.53 g|
|Salt||3.33 g||0.11 g||0.50 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Pour all the dry ingredients into the food processor, possibly run it for a few seconds to mix them quickly.
- Dice the cold butter and add it to the food processor. Run the food processor until the dough is larger lumps.
- Roll 30 small balls and place them in small molds on a baking sheet. The molds I use are 3.5 cm in diameter and 2 cm high.
- Press the center of the balls so that there is a small depression - fill the depression with raspberry jam.
- Bake in the middle of the oven, 200°C 12 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking tray.
- Store in an airtight container. It is also possible to freeze these for a longer period of time.