Pickled red onions
A simple accessory for hamburgers or tacos
- Servings8 Portions
- Prep Time10 min
- Rest Time45 min
- Cook Time5 min
A very simple accessory for hamburgers, tacos, salads and lots of other dishes. I usually use either this recipe or red onion marmalade for every hamburger I make - the other accessories will determine which one it will be from time to time.
Only 3 ingredients are needed (red onion, sugar and vinegar) but I also usually throw in some chili. You can of course choose the type of chili depending on how spicy you want the end result to be and for me a habanero without seeds is usually good. The chili can of course be omitted completely, or you can just divide it and let it be included in the mixture and then pick it out when serving, which then gives a little less heat. If you don't have fresh chili, you can also use dried, such as chili flakes.
The variant that I photographed here contains a home-grown orange habanero that I just cut in half and removed the seeds. The idea with this is that I want to make a slightly milder version and then it is easier to find (to avoid or pick out) a chili that is not red. Normally, I use a red habanero that I finely shred, which then mixes perfectly with the onion and gives a distinct heat.
I like to slice the red onion very thinly, but of course you decide that yourself and it can also depend on what type of dish you want to use the onion for. Regardless, a mandolin or similar usually makes it easier so the slices get the same thickness.
Although it is possible to eat the red onion as soon as it has cooled down, I think it is best after 2-3 days in the fridge.
|Energy||475 kcal||59.38 kcal||95 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||118.55 g||14.82 g||23.71 g|
|Fat||0.2 g||0.03 g||0.04 g|
|Protein||2.6 g||0.33 g||0.52 g|
|Sugar||99.05 g||12.38 g||19.81 g|
|Salt||0 g||0 g||0.00 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Peel and halve the red onion. Slice it into thin slices.
- Slice the habanero into small thin slices.
- Bring the sugar, vinegar and water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the onion and habanero.
- Let cool - stir occasionally.
- Pour into a well-cleaned jar with a lid. Store in the fridge - it will keep for 1-2 weeks.