Beef Stew in Slowcooker
Simple and hearty meat stew for the slow cooker.
Here is a simple meat stew that takes care of itself in the slow cooker to a great extent. The little trick with this recipe is to use a packet of French onion soup mix for a bit of a shortcut.
I use pot pieces from shoulder clod, but it works well with many other pieces of beef as well. As long as the meat becomes tender in about 5 hours in a slow cooker, it will be excellent.
Generally, this is a type of stew that I use to empty the fridge and freezer of various odd things, so I often season it with vegetables that are about to get old. However, this is the base that I think turns out quite well and makes 4 quite substantial portions.
The amount of liquid can vary, so keep an eye on the pot and possibly add a little water if necessary. Then also adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper according to taste and preference.
Leftovers of this stew can be stored in the fridge for 1 or 2 days, but avoid freezing it as cooked potatoes rarely turn out well after being frozen.
|Energy||2702.04 kcal||675.51 kcal||89 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||272.33 g||68.08 g||8.97 g|
|Fat||72.56 g||18.14 g||2.39 g|
|Protein||245.92 g||61.48 g||8.10 g|
|Sugar||44.33 g||11.08 g||1.46 g|
|Salt||7.89 g||1.97 g||0.26 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Cut the meat into pieces (if not already done) and place in a bowl.
- Season the meat with soy sauce, salt, black pepper, dried thyme and then mix. Pour the flour over the meat and mix again. Then place the meat in the slow cooker.
- Peel and chop the carrots into pieces. Rinse and slice the celery. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Pour over carrots, celery and garlic in the slow cooker.
- Pour over the French onion soup mix.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into pieces and then place the pieces in the slow cooker.
- Pour the water over the other ingredients and press down a bay leaf in the middle.
- Start the slow cooker on high heat, 5 hours.
- After 3 hours have passed (2 hours remaining on the slow cooker timer), mix well and check if the amount of water seems sufficient. Adjust if necessary.
- With 15 minutes left in the cooking time, pour in the peas (straight from the freezer) and mix. Put the lid back on and leave for the last 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately and optionally garnish with chopped parsley.